L is for Loving God: Loving God is knowing, feeling, and treating God as your greatest treasure.
“Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you.” – Psalm 73:25
- Consider the attributes of God we have learned this year. Because we know that God is eternal, glorious, good, holy, almighty, and many more wonderful things, how much should we love Him?
- Read Deuteronomy 6:5: “You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.”
- So, how much of my heart should love God? (all my heart)
- Read Matthew 22:37, Mark 12:30, and Luke 10:27
- What did these verses say about how much of my heart should love God? (all my heart)
- Each verse is stating the greatest and most important commandment that we are to obey–to love God with all our heart.
- Loving God with all your heart is not simply knowing God is great and more valuable than anything or anyone else. It means that you really think and feel that God is your greatest treasure.
- If you love God with all your heart, you will think, speak, and act in ways that show this. How?
- You will want to follow and obey Him, even when it’s difficult or unpopular.
- You will want to spend time with Him–reading your Bible, praying to Him, thanking and praising Him every day.
- Our sinful heart will always want to love other things more than God. There are times we might even forget about God, neglecting to read the Bible or pray to Him. But there’s good news…For everyone who is trusting in Jesus as their Savior, God has a special promise.
- Read Ezekiel 36:26-27: “And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules.”
- God promises to give His children new hearts–hearts that are able to think, feel, and show that we love God with all our hearts.
Previous Weeks’ Content
July 12, 2020 – S is for Seeking God
June 28 – N is for Never-Tiring
June 21 – B is for Bountiful
June 14- W is for Worthy
May 31- H is for Holy
May 24- X is for eXalted
May 17- K is for King
May 10- Z is for Zealous
May 3- M is for Merciful
April 26- P is for Patient
April 19- W is for Wrathful
April 12- V is Victorious
April 5- D is for Deliverer
March 29- Review Week