W for Worthy: God is most valuable and deserves our greatest love, obedience, and worship.
“Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.” – Philippians 3:8a
- Read Matthew 13:45-46:
- How much was the pearl worth? It was worth so much that the merchant sold all he had in order to get it!
- Read Matthew 4:18-22
- What did Peter, Andrew, James and John give up and leave behind in order to follow Jesus? (boats, nets, family)
- Read Luke 5:27-28
- What did Levi leave behind to follow Jesus? (job, money)
- Jesus is like a pearl of great value. He is worth so much that you should treat Him as more valuable than anything or anyone else. For the apostles, following Jesus was worth giving up everything else.
- Read Philippians 3:8a (see above).
- Jesus–God–has “surpassing” or greatest worth. That means that He is most valuable.
- Because God is most valuable, He deserves to be treated in ways that show that He is worth more than anything else.
- Because God is most valuable…
- He deserves our greatest love
- He deserves our obedience
- He deserves our worship